In Karnataka a special dish called obbattu or Holige, is prepared for Ugadi. Ugadi thali is incomplete without holige/obattu which is the main attraction for this festival. Holiges are very thin and soft.
We make various fillings for holige, here we have used toor dal for fillings unlike chana dal for puran poli. Process of making it varies, we can either roll it or pat it with our hands. It is a very time consuming process but it is quite worthy for to savor those delicious holiges.
for kanaka(outer cover):
1 cup chiroti/fine rawa
1/4 cup maida/all purpose flour
salt to taste
1/2 cup oil
Procedure for kanaka:
1. Mix Chiroti rava,maida and salt. Add enough water to make a dough. Dough should be soft like chapathi dough. Pour some oil and knead again till some of the oil is taken in by dough. Pour extra oil on the dough cover it with a lid and leave it aside for 3 - 4 hours.
Ingredients for hoorna/poornam:
1 cup toor/arhar dal
1 cup jaggery,grated
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp elaichi powder
5 cups of water
1. Bring 5 cups of water, turmeric to boil. Add split togari bele/toor dal cook.
2. Watch the vessel carefully as the water might spil, reduce the flame and cook for next 5-10 mins . Spoon out little dal and check whether the outer rim of the peas is cooked, if it is then switch off the gas and let the dal cool down to room temperature.
3. Filter/Decant the water from dal and add grated jaggery to it. Mix it over low flame till jaggery melts. Let it cool again. Reserve the water to make a sweet and spicy holige saaru.
4. Add cardamom powder and grind it in a mixer grinder with very very very little water (only if required) to make a smooth yet thick paste of dal and jaggery.
5. Stuff this inside chiroti rava skin and roll out into thin circles on a non-stick food paper. Roast it with oil till they are red on both sides. Transfer the holige/poli to tava with the paper with holige/poli side facing the tava. Wait for few sec and peel the paper of from the surface. Repeat the same process for all holiges.
6.Apply oil generously to rolling pin,skin,holige while making it. Delicious holige is ready to eat with ghee or warm milk.
|Tags: holige obbattu puran poli|
Super holige came wel and tasty